The Defender is gradually turning into a good little expedition camper. I have replaced the worn out disintegrating interior lining with marine carpet which is water, rot, oil and fuel resistant, meaning I can still drive through creeks without worry. Marine carpet can be purchased from boating or large hardware stores. I cut it to shape using a stanley knife and scissors. Sometimes newspaper was used to get the correct shape then that laid on the carpet as a template. I used Selleys Kwik Grip Gel to glue the carpet in place. In some areas I used heavy duty velcro so it can be removed later for cleaning.
The seat foam bases were replaced as they were worn out and spread foam dust everywhere. This is a pretty easy job. While the bases were off I repainted them as well.
Two LED directional swivel interior lights were installed with a custom bracket. These are awesome at night, far superior to the useless dim original lamp. From memory these were a Narva product.
Two gullwing doors were installed allowing better access into the rear storage area. Installation video here. These have been one of my best upgrades to date, allowing easy access to gear stored in my boxes without having to open the rear door to unpack.
I found 2 ex-army Land Rover storage boxes on eBay, had them powder coated and added marine carpet to the top.
The boxes were later fitted out with 12volt sockets and interior led strip lights.
The rear half shafts and drive flanges were replaced with Maxi-Drive units which are far stronger than the originals. I intend to add a Detroit Truetrac diff in the rear so wanted to ensure there was no chance any half shafts could break.
If video 4 did not display above you can watch it here: http://youtu.be/uh0-Y1Sy3MM